CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say a Charleston man has died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria.
The coroner’s office said 55-year-old Anthony Hills died Saturday, hours after his family took him to the Medical University of South Carolina.
Family members told WCSC-TV that Hills had a swollen arm and complained of not feeling well before he went to the hospital. Doctors amputated the arm and were considering amputating his leg before he died.
The necrotizing fasciitis that killed Hill is a rare infection that often attacks the body through a new cut or injury.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)