Early Panther Camp Thoughts
My wife was trying to talk to me the other day, but I was checking live tweets from Panther practice. Needless to say, she wasn’t too happy about being ignored. But, it is that time of year, we all daydream about what the new football season may bring. So, here are a few of my thoughts as the Cats sweat in Spartanburg.
1) I can’t wait to see Mike Tolbert in this offense. He is a versatile big fella who apparently has been lining up at FB, TE, out wide and in the slot. He is the ultimate Queen on the chess board for Chud.
2) Jeff Otah better be off this team soon. Whether it is by trade (the Bears were interested before the Jets deal) or a release or an injury settlement, this team needs to move on with the OTs that they can count on. And, an outright release would be cheap if my math is correct. It could cost $600,000 or $1.2 mill depending on if they wanted to split the hit between this year and next year’s cap.
3) Cam should run less near the goal line. I worry about Cam getting hurt like a mother hen worries about her chicks. With Tolbert on this roster, I would hope that means less Cam around the goal line in 2012.
4) Our Pass Defense has a LONG way to go. Stat heavy website Cold Hard Football Facts says the Panther Pass Defense is the 10th worst of all time based on their efficiency rankings. Lets hope Brandon Hogan, Josh Norman and Frank Alexander can play.
5) Preseason games are cool. I have never anticipated a preseason game like I am anticipating Panthers-Texans a week from this Saturday. This team could end up being the most entertaining in Cats history.