News Home

Man Convicted Of Staging Car Wrecks To Rape, Rob Women

View Comments
Screen grab of Jaunton Carter's mug shot. (Credit: Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office website)

Screen grab of Jaunton Carter’s mug shot. (Credit: Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office website)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (CBS Charlotte) – A judge decided today to sentence Jaunton Carter, 31, to around 30 years in prison after he was convicted of staging car accidents to lure women from their vehicles so that he could rape and rob them.

According to CBS affiliate WBTV, Carter pleaded guilty to the 2010 crime spree, perpetrated in the Dilworth and Myers Park areas. The charges were first-degree rape, two counts each of first-degree kidnapping and sexual battery, and three counts of common law robbery.

Judge Forrest D. Bridges sentenced Carter to 336 to 413 months in jail, amounting to 28 to 34 years behind bars. As such, Carter may not be free again until he is 65 years old.

According to the website for the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office, Carter has been in prison since Nov. 4, 2010 on these charges. He has been held several times before in relation to other crimes.

His crime spree allegedly began in Feb. of 2010, when he robbed a woman of her cigarettes as she was getting out of her car.

Carter then rear-ended his next victims not far away. When the women got out of the car to assess the damage, he aimed a gun at them, then forced them back into their car before joining them inside.

He reportedly fondled both women over their clothing before making them drive to an ATM to give him money. When that was unsuccessful, he commanded them to drive to another area and park.

He proceeded to rape one woman while forcing the other to watch. In order to make sure they didn’t leave, he continued to have his gun aimed at them during the assault.

When he was finished, he took $6 from them before fleeing the scene.

Just a half hour later, Carter reportedly rear-ended another woman, and forced her to give over her purse and approximately $300 in cash.

Using DNA evidence left at the scene of the rape, authorities identified Carter. Though he fled the area, police eventually tracked him down and arrested him in Georgia.

Attempts made by CBS Charlotte to reach the sheriff’s office were not immediately answered.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 15,217 other followers