Week one of college football is in the books. Many teams looked good, but a number of teams looked bad – and by “looked bad” I mean “somebody get these guys some new uniforms.” I don’t mind teams revamping the uniforms, but some of these are just ridiculous. Now I am not going to pretend to be some type of fashion consultant – if it was up to me I would wear shorts, a tee shirt and sandals all the time – but I know ugly when I see it. I wanted to take a look at some of the worst football jerseys of past and present. Here they are, in no particular order:
- 1. The Maryland Terrapins. I have to say these things may be the worst I have seen. From the helmet to the shoes, they were just awful. It looks like somebody took the Maryland state flag and exploded it onto a football uniform, and was somehow ok with that. I kept expecting Jim Carrey’s character from Cable Guy to come out and challenge one of the Terps to a joust. As I watched them play Miami Sunday night, I thought the NCAA should leave the Canes alone and investigate Maryland just for being tacky.
- 2. The Georgia Bulldogs. Not only did the Dawgs lose in a big-time week one matchup to the Boise State Broncos, but they did so in horrible fashion. The new Georgia unis look like something out of a video game. I am looking around on Google to make sure there wasn’t a level in Mega Man where I was supposed to earn a UGA outfit. The jerseys also don’t have any players’ last names on the back, either – they all say “Georgia” instead. I get the whole team unity thing, but it’s very confusing when you are watching the game.
- 3. The Denver Broncos. Two years ago the NFL decided to go with some of the AFL throwback jerseys. Some of these classics are awesome – for example, it’s always good to see the San Diego Chargers’ powder-blue jerseys. The old school Pats jersey is sweet, too, with the Pat Patriot logo on the helmet. In my opinion, New England should don these at least once a year. This idea couldn’t have been worse for the Broncos. First of all, brown and yellow are not really a good color scheme all together. Usually if you are going old-school and the colors are terrible, there is a cool logo or something on the helmet. Unfortunately, these just have the number on the side. The real kicker on these monstrosities is the vertically striped socks. These things are just bad and should be banished back to Oompa Loompa land or wherever they came from.
- 4. The Seattle Seahawks. 2009 must have been a blanket year for bad jerseys. In their only appearance ever, and for the better, the Seahawks sported their green jerseys. These things are especially bad – they look like something Andre Agassi would have worn back in the day. Neon colors went the way of the dodo bird in the late 80s early 90’s, and for good reason. It’s funny how a team can get one jersey so wrong and other ones so right – I think Seattle’s blue uniforms are some of the best in sports.
- 5. The Oregon Ducks. This list wouldn’t be complete without the Ducks on it. Oregon has found a way to make several entries into the worst-dressed on Saturdays. Their jerseys in the past have featured wings on the shoulders, fake metal plating, black on yellow, yellow on yellow, yellow on green… you get the point. I didn’t think the jersey they wore on Saturday in the LSU game looked too bad, but I am sure they will offend the eyes again at some point this year. Maybe next week they can wear the ones that make the entire team look like a bunch of highlighters marching out onto the field.
These are just a few the teams with uniform issues I have seen in the past, and with Nike taking over Reebok in the NFL next year I suspect we will see many more examples to come. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on who had the best and worst jerseys in football in the comments section.