SEC Football Notes
Here are some notes concerning the SEC heading into this weekend.
* – Auburn leads the SEC, averaging 42.8 points per game. At that current pace, the Tigers would finish the season tied for 8th in SEC history for scoring average. At that current pace, Auburn would score 599 points in 14 games, which would be second in SEC history (trailing only Florida’s 611 points in 2008).
* – Alabama has given up just 13 total touchdowns in 10 games, which is the second lowest total in the nation. The Tide (13 TDs, 14 FGs) and West Virginia (11 TDs, 14 FGs) are the only teams in FBS that have given up more field goals than touchdowns this season.
* – Arkansas leads the SEC with 28 passing TDs this season and is tied for 3rd in the nation.
* – The SEC has four of the top 11 teams in the nation in pass completion percentage. Alabama is sixth in the nation at 68.1 percent, South Carolina is seventh at 67.7 percent, Auburn is eighth at 67.5 percent and Arkansas is 11th at 66.9 percent.
* – The SEC has four of the top 15 teams in the nation in total sacks. South Carolina is tied for second with 35.0 sacks followed by Ole Miss with 28.0 sacks (tied for 9th in the nation), LSU and Arkansas with 27.0 sacks (tied for 11th).
* – Auburn’s Onterio McCalebb leads the nation in yards per rushing attempt at 8.76. McCalebb has 683 yards rushing this season on 78 carries.
* – Kentucky’s Randall Cobb leads the nation in all-purpose yards per game (186.6) and all-purpose yards (2,047) this season. He is also fourth in the nation in yards per rushing attempt (8.0).
* – Ole Miss’ Markeith Summers is second in the nation in yards per reception (20.64). This season, Summers 22 catches for 454 yards. The Georgia duo of Tavares King (3rd/20.48) and Kris Durham (4th/20.08) and Tennessee’s Denarius Moore (T6th/19.88) are also in the nation’s top 10 in yards per reception.
* – South Carolina’s Alshon Jeffery is fifth in the nation in average yards per scrimmage play (16.7). He has 65 catches for 1,087 yards this season.
* – Florida’s Andre Debose is the only player in the nation to have two plays (offense, defense or special teams) of 80+ yards against ranked (AP) teams this season.
*- Mississippi State is fifth in the nation in holding opponents to just 3.71 yards per punt return. Opponents have 52 punt return yards on 14 attempts against the Bulldogs this season.
* – LSU and Southern Miss attempt the most field goals per game (2.4) in the nation. The Tigers have made 20 of 24 attempts this season. The 20 field goals made is tied for second with Oklahoma State and trails only Southern Miss’ 22 field goals made.